Image Map

March 2, 2011

Big Chop vs. Baby Clips

One major concern of all those who go natural is how to get rid of the processed hair. They ponder the idea of cutting off the permed ends or hang on to them and make the transition. I personally took my time as I did not want to experience short hair again. Over the course of 2 years, I went in occasionally and had inches here and there sheared away. On the other hand, I know of several women who have chopped it off at once as a declaration of their freedom. I must admit, the big chop is quite symbolic! It represents the rebirth of an individual; a time when one will discover who they are as they discover the kinks and coils atop their head. Unregrettably, I never had this experience, but I do wonder what it would have been like to have a teeny weeny afro. The simple wash and go, the ease of roll over and out the door, trying products to make the curls coil...but then I am brought back to reality by the memory of my own hair tragedy and I am grateful that I transitioned.



See more of my HAIRstory

So, is either one better than the other? Aren't all things a matter of personal opinion and choice? And in fact, won't they both produce about the same results. If you BC, within a year your hair will grow an average of 6 inches. Granted, you will have to maintain proper trimming and in that case, with the average trim measuring a 1/2" to an inch,  (and if you follow the suggested rule of getting your ends trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks) then over the course of a year you could lose 4 to 8 inches just by trimming your ends. Additionally, if you opt for baby clips, then you'd be snipping away permed ends that you were going to give the boot anyway! But in holding on to two textures you run the risk of increasing the possibility of split ends and the lack of moisture, which will damage your virgin hair. Decisions, decisions. Sadly, this brings us back to square one, cut it all off or transition?

What do you think: Big chop or baby clips?


Reader Stephanie wears The Stega!!
Stephanie on The Stega- "The Stega is an eye catching style.  Not only is it stunning, it's also versatile.  I've worn this style during the day as well as during cocktail hours.  At first glance, I thought it would be difficult to do.  Let me just say, I'm not the world's best hair stylist.  However, I decided to give it a shot.  I found it to be quite easy to do.  I followed LoveNWright's directions and it turned out cute!  My hair had been washed the day before, so I simply detangled my hair using Kinky Curly Knot Today.  I separated my hair into four sections and detangled it using a wide tooth comb.  Then I waited until it was almost dry to start styling.  It probably took a total of 15 minutes to do the actual styling.  My arms got a little sore during the process but it was well worth it.  I wear this style a lot and I always receive compliments when rocking The Stega!!!"


Thanks for sharing Stephanie!! I can tell you used the technique "Taunt not Tight"!! Glad I could provide a go-to-style! The Stega looks great on you! BTW, I'm LoveN those earrings!


Have you ever tried a LoveNWright Kreation? Well, BE FEATURED and share your experience with other HAIRsistas!!

2 comments:

  1. Am team big chop. I did my bc in July and I haven't looked back yet. However I do understand that it really depends on how comfortable a person can be with short hair many ladies transition for month just to avoid the look.

    http://kandyandklothes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm also team big chop. as someone who always had long hair, i was anxious to try short hair out for a try. i've never seen so much of my face or myself. no wonder other cultures make a point to shave their hair. it was enlightening and i'm glad i had the chance to do it. i think it puts things into perspective as well.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate the comments! From one selfless person to another, thank you!